Thursday, July 9, 2009

7 month picture - 7-9-2009

Sorry for the lack of updates, but it seems whenever we get home we're ready to call it a day. Tonight, however, we found the energy to take the latest picture, and post about the recent events.

First, here's the picture...


Jill is certainly looking like a pregnant lady these days, taking her sweet time walking to her destination. I try my best to walk as slow as her, but it's actually pretty hard!

Anyways, we had our last appointment on June 24th, and everything checked out just fine. Sounded great; looked like going out of town for my conference would be fine. I left for San Francisco on the 27th to attend Cisco Live!, but on Tuesday (June 30th) Jill called saying she was having contractions a few minutes apart. I was stressed out, thinking I'd have to catch a flight back to San Diego ASAP, but once Jill arrived at triage (urgent care for pregnant women), they examined Jill and determined that she wasn't at risk for pre-term labor, and that they were just Braxton Hicks contractions gone wild (probably due to over activity and dehydration they said)!

Jill spent a few hours there, where they pumped her full of fluids and two shots of Terbutaline, at which time the contractions spread out enough to send her home (they were 2 minutes apart on arrival, and 8 minutes apart at departure). Once arriving at home, however, the contractions persisted (on average 10 minutes apart) until I returned home Thursday night, even though Jill was drinking TONS of water and resting.

Well we had planned on taking a camping trip for July 4th weekend, but due to the continuing contractions, and uncertainty, we had to cancel. It's probably best that we did, because the contractions continued over the weekend, and on Monday our nurse advised us to return to triage. Upon returning, they looked Jill over again and found no change since the last visit. They gave Jill another two shots of Terbutaline, along with a prescription to be taken every 6 hours.

Sooooo, that's where we are now. The prescription has been doing a pretty good job at stopping the contractions, although one does sneak in every so often. We put in a call to the doctor to see what our next steps are, and should hear back soon.

On the positive side, Amelia is doing well, is kicking more than ever, and doesn't appear to be affected by the contractions. Our next scheduled appointment is July 21st, and assuming we don't go in sooner that should be the next time we post an update.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure N would love the tribute to him, but it's actually "Braxton Hicks", not Hickson. ;-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braxton_Hicks_contractions

    I also can't possible wait another two weeks before another update!! Jeez man - if you guys are too tired to post now, what is it going to be like when Amelia joins us?!? :)

    Soooo glad everything is going ok and things have calmed down. How scary!! yeesh. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I don't need a wiki link, I know it's Hicks, brain fart I guess! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't believe how far along she is! I can't wait for the month 8 update.

    ~Sasha

    ReplyDelete