Thursday, December 3, 2009

December Update

Well my goodness. I (Jill) am sorry for the absolute lack of any recent blog updates. I'm just not the blogging type and Eric's over it already, but anyway, here's the latest.

The first month went by ridiculously fast (but of course it didn't feel fast at the time). Eric stayed home with me for the first 3 weeks and he was such a huge help. He has been the best father and husband; even better than I could have imagined or hoped for.

I could write a list a mile long of everything he did (and continues to do), but that would probably bore you, so here's a list of some of Amelia's first month highlights that hopefully won't be as boring:

- there were lots of family visits, especially by Mom and Carrie, who I should mention have also been wonderful to have around (Mom's are really indispensable when you have your own first kid) they made lots of food for Eric and me, helped clean house, and often came over twice a week (and still do)
- we had some routine pediatrician appointments which all went very well
- we brought Amelia to my work for show and tell, she was awake and very alert the whole time and everyone was very impressed
- Amelia had her first bath one night when Mom and Carrie were over (I wanted Mom there to help) and it was probably the world's record for shortest bath; she started crying and squirming right at the beginning so we just washed her off and took her out because she was so strong you could barely hold on to her
- some cute things: she grunted a lot; in the car when we went under an overpass her eyes would get huge and wide open; when we blow on her face her arms go out to her sides and she gasps; she loved to hold up her head and look around when you had her over your shoulder; she cried with real tears very early on (sad, not cute)

The second month I started to take her out more on my own; there was a bi-weekly breastfeeding support group I went to and I started going to a yoga and an exercise class at the hospital that you bring the baby with you, and just going on errands and driving Eric to and from work made me much more confident and comfortable with being out and about. It was good to get out of the house to. Another highlight list:

- Amelia's birthday present to me was a smile that I was sure was for me (not because of other "presents" she makes, if you know what I mean)
- went to Mom's for Halloween to watch a scary movie and pass out candy (our first visit to Grandma Morrow's house); we didn't dress her up because we didn't have time and it really would have been pretty silly since we weren't going anywhere (but next year we definitely will)
- tried to give her a bottle (it didn't go well at all, and it's something we're still working on)
- she started "talking" in a humming-like voice
- she slept for 8 hours at once (she actually still does; she goes down about 8 or 9 pm and then doesn't wake up until 4 am for a feeding and then goes back to sleep for another 2 hours or so) she's always wanted to sleep a lot at night ever since she was born but now that she was a little older they told us we could let her sleep as long as she wanted and didn't need to wake her to feed her anymore
- she found her hands to suck on, but I don't thing she still even knows that they're hers


- Mom had a poker party and Amelia got to meet all the extended family including her 3rd cousin (I think) Julianna who is about 3 months older than her
- we took an infant massage class which she was a little restless during, but we learned some stuff that we can try out later
- we also had our first visit up to Murrieta to see Grandma Cables and Eric's Aunt Jan; the car ride was the longest she's ever had (about an hour and a half), but she was fine (slept most of the time)
- cute things: "talking" to patterns on blankets and things; turning around 180 degrees in her crib at night while swaddled (how does she do it?!); rubbing her face in your shoulder really hard when you hold her (it hurts my collar bone sometimes, she's so strong!); using her as a alarm clock to wake up Eric in the morning (just plop her down on the bed and she'll talk and talk until he has to get up because as he says, "she doesn't have a snooze button")

And finally this, the third month, has had even more firsts. Eric had to go to Arizona for work for a few days so I was on my own for the first time. We had our first overnighter when we went up to Murrieta for Thanksgiving (she did great! slept just as much as she would have at home). We (Amelia and I) have been hanging out with Aunt Sarah a lot and her little boy, Jesse, is about 16 months old and every time we talk about how impossible it would be if they were both ours. I don't have any clue how people have kids any closer than 10 years apart. I also heard her laugh for the first time a few days after Thanksgiving (so rewarding). I had been waiting for this moment for so long that it almost made me cry. I kept saying that I can't wait until I know that I make her happy (since all I knew up until then was how sad she was when she cried). I was playing around with her, talking to her and tickling her belly, when she let out an adorable little giggle. I hope she laughs everyday for the rest of her life.

Some other highlights:
- she had her 2 month appointment with all those immunizations, poor baby
- We took her to my old Tae Kwon Do class; some friends got her a stuffed animal and some blankets; she cried after less than an hour though, so it's certainly going to be a while before I can go back



- cute things: she talks now with more vowel like sounds; she also has started screaming and squealing really loud and high; she rubs her eyes when she's tired; she has a crooked smile sometimes

I'd say a few things I've learned so far are how to prioritize -- you were changing a dirty diaper and the baby decided to do some "extra credit" which is now all over her, her clothes, the changing table, the wall, and the TV next to the changing table, and since you've taken too long to change her, now she's crying; what do you do first? -- and how to multitask -- I can do just about anything while holding or feeding a baby using my other hand (even if it's my left hand) or even using my feet! And I'm sure Amelia will teach me countless more things over the years. I can't wait.

Sorry again for the delay between posts, and we'll try to post another update after Christmas with more pictures and videos. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely adorable!! Love the photo of Amelia and Eric. :) And the video is great!!

    I can totally relate to knowing how to do just about anything with one hand! :)

    Thanks for posting, it's great to see updates from you guys. :) Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete